| Superstitions (107) |
Find thousands of old superstitions and urban legends taken from around the world divided into themed categories.
1. The bairn that is born on fair Sunday
Is bonny and loving, and blithe and gay.
Monday's bairn is fair in the face...
7. If a child cries during baptism, it is the devil going out of it.
Niagara Falls, Ont.
8. It is lucky for the child to ...
10. An open hand in a baby is a sign of a generous disposition, but a
habit of closing the fingers indicates avarice, or, as we say,
| Introduction To The World|
17. Take the baby first into the sunlight on Sunday. Put it into short
clothes and make all changes on that day.
18. To make a chil...
| First Actions|
41. If a child cries at birth and lifts up one hand, he is born to
42. If the baby smiles in its sleep, it is talking with...
45. First a daughter, then a son,
The world is well begun.
First a son, then a daughter,
Trouble follows aft...
60. A child to whom is told any story which he considers remarkable will
usually reply by an expression of skepticism, such as: Really...
To stump another boy to do a thing is considered as putting a certain
obligation on him to perform the action indicated. The phrase is...
76. Put a mark upon a paper for every bow you get, and when you have one
hundred bury the paper and wish. When the paper is decayed yo...
79. If two persons, while walking, divide so as to pass an obstruction
one on one side and one on the other, they will quarrel. Childr...
81. The stars are angels' eyes.
82. The stars are holes made in the sky, so that the light of heaven
89. An eyewinker placed in the palm of the hand will cause the ferule
to break when the teacher strikes the palm with it.
91. At croquet, if your ball was about to be sent flying, the safeguard
was to draw an imaginary X with your mallet, saying, Criss cro...
94. When a child loses a tooth, if the tongue is not put into the cavity
a gold tooth will come in place of it.
New York an...
101. If a person is very handsome, it is a sign that he will have one of
the infectious diseases of childhood (measles, whooping cough...
102. Dimple in chin.
103. A dimple in the chin is lucky. Some say it shows you're ...
105. Small ears indicate that a person is stingy. Large ones show that he
106. Large ears are a ma...
| Eyes And Eyebrows|
109. Hazel eyes betoken a good disposition.
110. If your eyebrows meet, you will be rich.
115. Always keep your nails clean and you will be rich.
116. A white spot in the nail, when it comes, mean...
120. If your instep is high enough to have water flow under it, you are
of good descent.
121. A mole on...
122. If there is a blue vein in the child's forehead extending down upon
the nose, it is one of the surest signs of early death.
124. Coarse hair indicates good nature; fine hair quick temper.
125. Red hair indicates a spit-fire.
138. A straight line in the palm of the hand is an omen of early death.
139. The letter formed by the vein...
148. A mole on the eyebrow denotes that one will be hanged. On the ear it
denotes that he will be drowned.
156. A vein across the nose is an omen of short life.
General in the United States.
157. A broad space between the teeth indicates a liar.
158. Broad front teeth mean that one is generous.
164. Eat an apple at midnight before the glass, saying,--
Whoever my true love may be,
Come and eat this apple with me,...
166. When eating an apple, snap it with the fingers and name it for a
person of the opposite sex. Count the fully developed seeds (all...
174. Kiss the baby when nine days old, and the first gentleman you kiss
afterward will be your future husband.
175. Go upstairs backward, into a chamber backward, and into bed
backward. Drink some salt and water, and if you dream of some one
183. Read the third verse of the third chapter of Hosea, Joel, and Amos
for three Sundays in succession, and the first gentleman you w...
185. When you see a turkey-buzzard flying alone, repeat,--
Hail! Hail! Lonely, lonesome turkey-buzzard:
Hail to the Eas...
187. The coming husband is determined by repeating the following words,
touching each button of the coat, vest, or dress in order:--
| Four-leaved Clover|
194. If a girl puts a two-leaved clover in her shoe, the first man who
comes on the side where the clover is will be her future husban...
199. Count sixty white horses and one white mule, then you will marry the
first man with whom you shake hands.
| Daisy Petals|
211. Pull off the petals of a daisy one by one, naming a boy (or a girl
as the case may be) at each one, thus, Jenny, Fanny, Jenny, Fa...
220. Put the breast-bone of a fowl over the front door, and the first one
of the opposite sex that enters is to be your future compani...
225. Take an egg to your window; break it over a knife; remember the day
and date. Wish that your true love would come to you. If you ...
229. Name each of the four fingers of one hand for some person of the
opposite sex, then press them tightly together with the other ha...
230. Scatter your clothes in the four corners of the room, naming them.
The man you are to marry will bring you your clothes in a drea...
| Letters Of The Alphabet|
241. Write names on three pieces of paper, throw them up in the air (in
the dark); feel for one, put it under the pillow, and in the m...
245. Go out at midnight and walk around a peach-tree, repeating,--
Low for a foreigner,
Bark for a near one,
248. Take beans in the hand, go out of doors and throw them against the
window. The first man's name that you hear spoken is the name ...
263. Suspend a ring by a hair from the finger. Let it swing over a
tumbler. The number of strokes against the side of the tumbler indi...
267. If you look at a bright star intently before retiring, you will
dream of your sweetheart.
268. Count nine ...
273. After drinking tea, turn the cup upside down, whirl it round three
times, set it down in the saucer, whirl again, take it up, tur...
| Walking Abroad|
276. Go to walk and turn back. The first man you meet you'll marry.
277. If you walk the length of seven r...
282. Float two cambric needles on water and name them. If they float
together, they'll marry. If they float apart, they won't marry.
290. On accidentally making two lines rhyme, kiss your hand, and you will
be so fortunate as to see your lover before nine that night....
303. A Halloween custom is to fill a tub with water and drop into it as
many apples as there are young folks to try the trick. Then ea...
327. If you are a bridesmaid three times you will never stand in the
328. Three times a brid...
| Attire Of The Bride|
332. If you try on your wedding dress before the ceremony, you will not
333. The bride should...
| Lucky Days|
345. Marry in Lent,
Live to repent.
346. The day after a wedding is called the bride's day, the next ...
| The Marriage Ceremony|
351. Happy is the bride that the sun shines on.
352. If it rains on the wedding, the bride will cry all he...
| Courting And Wedding Signs|
364. If your apron string becomes loosened, your true love is thinking of
365. If your apron drops off, y...
431. If you take a baby in your arms for the first time, and at the same
time wish, you will get your wish before the year is out.
463. To dream of cod or caplin is a sign of rain[TN-3]
464. To dream of a good catch of fish is a sign of r...
494. To dream of white things is lucky (or sign of death?).
495. Dreaming of white things is a sign of snow...
| Dead Persons|
498. To dream of a dead father is lucky.
499. To dream of a dead mother is unlucky; it brings sorrow.
505. To dream of walking in a garden is a sign of a graveyard.
506. To dream of ploughed ground indicates that a grave will be dug f...
510. To dream of eggs means you will get a beating,[TN-4]
Prince Edward Island.
511. Dreaming of eggs is a sign of anger;...
| Fire And Smoke|
514. It is bad luck to dream of fire.
St. John, N.B.
515. To dream of fire portends sickness.
| Human Beings|
524. To dream of a baby is a sign of death.
525. To dream of babies is unlucky or is a sign of trouble.
General in the Un...
| Meteorological Phenomena|
538. To dream of walking through snow means sickness.
St. John, N.B.
539. To dream of a snowstorm is a sign of the speedy...
| Money And Metals|
543. To dream of silver money is a sign of sickness.
544. To dream of small change (money) is bad luck.
547. To dream of teeth is unlucky.
548. It is death or bad luck to dream of teeth falling out.
553. To dream of smooth water means good luck; of rough water means ill
St. John, N.B.
554. Dreaming of running wa...
| Weddings And Funerals|
560. To dream of marriage is a sign of a funeral.
Topsail and Carbonear, Trinity Bay, N.F.
561. If you dream of a marriag...
569. To dream of raw meat is a sign of ill luck.
570. To dream of eating meat is a sign of sickness.
571. To s...
608. At cards, if your luck is poor, walk round your chair three times,
lift it, sit down, and your luck is assured.
612. It is unlucky to travel on Friday.
New York and Pennsylvania.
613. Never begin a piece of work on Friday; it is bad ...
622. If you put on any garment wrong side out, as, for example, a pair of
stockings, never change it, as to do so brings ill luck. Thi...
631. It is good luck to find a horseshoe.
General in the United States and Canada.
632. The luck is especially good if th...
637. See a pin and pick it up,
All the day you'll have good luck;
See a pin and pass it by (or let it lie),
644. It is unlucky to pass salt across the table.
645. Spilling salt is unlucky; throw some over your left shoulder, or
burn a pinc...
650. If the broom is moved with the rest of the household furniture, you
will not be successful. The broom should be burned while stan...
| Turning Back|
656. It is unlucky to turn back for anything after you have set out to go
Prince Edward Island.
663. If two persons shake hands across the gate, they are bringing on
themselves ill luck.
664. It is unlucky t...
714. A group of bubbles on a cup of coffee signifies money.
715. A mass of bubbles floating on a cup of ...
736. Having a piece of bread and taking another is a sign some one is
Maine, New York, and Pennsylvania.
795. Green glass beads worn about the neck will prevent or cure
796. Gold beads were former...
816. To keep fire always burning on the hearth will prevent cholera among
817. If a fish-hook pierces...
836. Rub the hands with the first snow that falls and you'll not have
sore hands all winter.
837. On Ash Wedne...
844. It is believed that piercing the ear will cure weak eyes or
strengthen the eyes. It is often done to children for this purpose.
872. Blood from the warts on a cow's bag coming in contact with a
person's hands will cause warts to appear on them.
883. To cure a wart, grease it with stolen bacon, and hide the latter.
884. Split a bean and put one half on the wart, one half in t...
930. As the days begin to lengthen,
So the cold begins to strengthen.
Northeastern United States and Canada.
| Days And Times|
936. The first Tuesday after the new moon settles the weather for that
937. If it is a fair sunse...
| Fair Or Foul|
962. Of a change:--
Long looked for
990. When the moon is on the back, it denotes weather wet or mild; when
on the end, it denotes frost.
1003. A load of barrels foretells wet weather.
1004. When the Brothers (Catholic theological stude...
| Wind And Storm|
1050. A broom falling across the doorway, or chairs set crosswise, is the
sign of a storm.
1051. If a clo...
1080. Repeat, looking at the new moon the first time you see it,--
New moon, true moon, tell unto, me
Who my true love ...
1094. The moon seen over the right shoulder brings good luck; over the
left shoulder, ill luck.
General in the United State...
1110. Some say you can see the man's axe and dog in the moon.
1111. If the moon shines in your face as you...
| Wax And Wane|
1114. Set out cabbages in the new of the moon to make them head up well,
and gather apples in the new of the moon to make them keep we...
| Domestic And Mechanical Operations|
1141. To make good bread, stir it with the sun. To make good yeast, make
it as near sunrise as possible.
1151. In rubbing for rheumatism, etc., rub from left to right (sunwise).
1152. Ringworm may be killed by m...
| Death Omens|
1158. To raise an umbrella in a house is a sign of an approaching death.
Pennsylvania; somewhat general in the United Stat...
| Morturary Custom|
1240. If salt water pigeons' feathers are in a bed, the sick person on
it will not die easily.
1241. In ...
1271. If a child in eating an apple merely girdles it and leaves the
apple good at stem and below, it indicates that he will be a poor...
| Bodily Affections|
1340. If the right cheek burns, some one is speaking well of you; if the
left, they are speaking ill of you; if both, they speak well ...
1376. If you mend your apron or dress while on you, some one will lie
Maine and Alabama.
1377. As many stitch...
1402. Halloween cabbages are pulled and thrown against the owner's door
as a reminder of his laziness.
1419. What you do on your birthday, you will do all the year.
1420. On cutting the finger-nails:--
| Domestic Life|
1438. It is supposed that a broom placed behind the door will keep off
1439. To burn the stub ...
1464. A stratum of warm air indicates the presence of the devil.
Boston, Mass. (Irish).
1465. If, when a newly-married co...